Tuesday, November 28, 2006

What Are Your Favorites?

Do you have favorite Christmas movies? I have always really liked “The Bishop’s Wife”. I don’t really know why, except maybe it points out how we can get caught up in “doing” Christmas and forget the meaning of Christmas.

How about books? As a kid I could read The Night Before Christmas over and over. I loved the feel of the actual book as well as reading in a cadence type of voice. I loved reading it aloud to my kids with dramatic effects…

When I was in Jr. High school, I loved the Janet Lambert series of books “The Penny Parrish” series. I remember one particular book where her boyfriend was serving in the Korean War, but was supposed to be home by Christmas. I don’t remember the book having a happy ending, but I have never forgotten that she made me feel how great it would be if the war was over and the boys home by Christmas. (Strangely enough as I type this “I’ll be Home for Christmas” is playing on the radio)

Comments:
Movie, of course, Jimmy Stewart's "It's a Wonderful Life". But I love the contemporary Tim Allen Santa Claus movies. I just love Christmas movies.
Also, I love the TV stuff: Charlie Brown, the claymation Rudolph and Frosty the Snowman, Little Drummer Boy.
Yes, book list is topped by "The Night Before Christmas". I can just hear my Kindergarten teacher Ms. Albright reading it.
 
I love pretty much all the Christmas movies -- and like That Girl, I love Holiday Inn!

Books - my favorite is one by Max Lucado - the version I have is called Cosmic Christmas, but I think he changed the title a few years ago. Hard to explain, but it's the cosmic war between angels and demons when God sent "the light of the world" to be placed in Mary. It's pretty powerful.
 
I still love the Burl Ive's Christmas cartoons. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer takes me right back to childhood!

My favorite Christmas story is The Gift Of The Magi by O. Henry. It is a short story and an incredible story of sacrifice and love. I highly recommend it!
 
Favorite Christmas Movie - 'A Christmas Story' by far. Still cracks me up. "You'll shoot your eye out kid." There's even a parody commercial of it on TV right now for some phone company. Hilarious.

As a kid I read tons of Nancy Drew stories - I love a good mystery! Now I've read all the Harry Potter books & love them too. I really like 'The Polar Express', both the book & the movie. Somehow, I can't get through either one w/o tears. Maybe I still just want to believe!
 
Holiday Inn, White Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life, Veggie Tales "The Toy That Saved Christmas", and of course, Harry Potter. It always nearly brings me to tears in the first movie (HP & SS) when Harry is all excited and says, "I've got presents!", because his family never gave him any before.

As for Christmas books, I don't know. But regualar books, I'm still a pretty big Harry Potter fan. (July 17th is coming!)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?