Tuesday, December 05, 2006

How Do You See Yourself?

I don't think that I lack in the self-esteem catagory and yet I have never really seen myself as much of an expert at anything. I can do several things "pretty good" but am truly a master at none.

Yesterday while sitting in a seminar listening to the questions of the audience I started to re-evalutate my self estimation. Sure I don't know everything there is to know, but I have been in the Mortgage business for the last 5 plus years and the banking/finance business for over 25 years....I do know a few things. Compared to many in the room I know a LOT of things.

I don't know why I sell myself short so often. The fact that I have intelligence of any level is a gift from God. The experience I have accumulated is a result of my willingness and ability to work. I don't believe in "tooting my own horn" but I do believe that I should recognize my strengths and give glory to God for the things that I can do.....then I should do them all for him.

How do you see yourself?

Comments:
I'm a lot like you in that I don't give myself (or God) enough credit for my knowledge, abilities and accomplishments. And I do try to downplay when someone gives me a compliment - is that embarrassment or humility? I feel pretty uncomfortable with praise, yet get my feelings hurt when someone doesn't recognize the work that I do.
 
I'm pretty average when it comes to most things. I do a few things pretty well. I am not world class at anything. I think God loves me anyway.
 
I too tend to sell myself short--or at other times, I puff myself up full of pride. Hard to find that healthy balance sometimes!
 
I, too, have trouble balancing between pride and embarrassment. I don't mind so much hearing someone praise me to someone else, but I get flustered when someone praises me to my face.
 
I'm an average Joe in an above average working environment recieving off the chart blessings. Your comments remind me of why I love the apostles so much. If fishermen and tax collectors can carry the torch I believe the message for me is that I can too.
 
I think of myself pretty much as "Good Enough." I'm smart enough, I sing well enough, I'm talented enough without being a genius at anything in particular. I figure I have enough to do well. Now whether or not that happens is another story!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?