Friday, December 15, 2006

Missing...

My son’s dog Skeeter has gone missing. This dog looks mean, he is a Pit Bull, but in reality he is a big sweet puppy. There are two problems, one he has never been out of the yard on his own; the second is he doesn’t trust people he doesn’t know. When someone approaches him, he runs. I am thinking he does not have a good sense of direction since he has never had to navigate without a leash. I sure hope they find him soon. He has been gone since Tuesday afternoon and we all miss him terribly.

I was thinking (you knew this was coming, right?) that we are sometimes like that dog. Many of us have grown up in a sheltered environment. We have been told where to go and how to think. In our minds we can think freely and make our own choices. But when it comes right down to it, without the leash we have always worn (our “doctrine”) we get somewhat lost and confused. Just like Skeeter, we were not created to be “penned up”. When we are it robs us of many of our coping and survival skills. Sometimes the hardest thing we will ever have to do is just break out of the pen and run. Things will get scary and we will get hungry and thirsty. We know that there is a soft bed and bowl of food waiting for us and we are tempted to just find our way back and try to be satisfied with the comforts of home (the familiar). But deep down we know that once we taste the freedom, the sheer exhilaration of running unfettered, we will never be happy inside that fence again.

Like I said, it is scary.

Comments:
While I am all about a good adventure...home isn't necessarily a bad place to land either.
 
"If I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard."

"There's no place like home."
 
Maybe my point would be better taken with the words "the familar" instead of "home"
 
To carry the metaphor further - I think some folks look at us and assume that, as Christians, we will behave like stereotypical pit bulls toward them.
 
My oldest daughters dog ran away this summer. She couldn't sleep for 2 nights. Knowing that, I didn't sleep well either. We all, even Stephen- her non-emotional younger brother, put out flyers all over town. Two days and several prayers later, the call came; "I think we have your dog, Aly." When I picked her up, she was so glad to see me and it was all I could do to keep from sub-dubbing. I asked how they knew to call and they said they saw the flyer at Sexton Foods Grocery. Stephen immediately chimed in,"Thats where I put a flyer." Hope you find the lost pup. It will happen. Great post Miss Analogy.
 
Our dogs have a way of becoming part of the pack. I know my family would be simply torn up if 'Jody' disappeared.

I do hope you find your dog.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?