Friday, January 12, 2007

ISRAELITES

You know I have always had a tough time understanding why the Israelites whined and complained when Moses was attempting to lead them to something better. They had experienced up close and personal the power of God and had to know that He was on their side. Yet, the lure of the known, the comfortable...even if it was slavery seemed a better choice to them than starting out on an adventure fraught with peril and obstacles.

I guess the older I get in life the more I understand. We are much the same way. It is hard to give up the comfort and security of the "known" for the unknown adventures that we may feel God is calling us toward.

If no other message is portrayed in the books of Genesis and Exodus the fact that God expects us to step out in faith is emphasized over and over. He doesn't require that we understand why...I am sure Abraham never understood why he got so close to killing his own son. I as sure Moses never really understood "why him?". But he acted in faith anyway. (I never said he didn't whine...and God loved him....)

Sometimes what God may be calling us to do is to take a leap of faith. Leaps generally take you out of your comfort zone. Will I spend my time like the children of Israel looking back and wondering how it could have been, or will I press forward and see where God will lead me and how he will help me overcome obstacles as I live my life for him?

Comments:
Faith is a hard thing so often--I would rather SEE my next step--but it doesn't work that way. I am guessing you will choose to press forward!
 
You've hit it on the head with this one. Keep following God's lead, girl! It will surely be quite a ride.
 
It is difficult to let go of the known for the unknown...but that is the only way to make progress in life!
 
I always wonder when I read the Exodus story if I would really be any different. It is so easy to for me to think I would be one of the faithful ones but, yet, even standing on this side of the cross (which is such a better view of things) I have really blown it without being stuck in a desert with an unchanging menu and the same old clothes......
Excellent thoughts, I always enjoy your posts.
 
Those two books are full of stories where people act on things that others would shake their heads at.

Hey, why don't you allow others to comment...good thing I still remember my blogger log in.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?