Monday, February 12, 2007

Family Ties

I have mentioned before the multitude of cousins that I have on my Mother’s side of the family. That is one of the by products of having 10 siblings in the family. Yesterday I got to hook up with some of my cousins that I have not seen in a while. Unfortunately in a pattern that is being repeated way too often we met at the funeral home. My cousin Paula lost her husband. He was 58 years old and has had a deteriorating quality of life for the last several years following a stroke. Paula has persevered through much trial and upheaval seeing him through his final years and yet…58 is so young. In the last year she has also lost her Mother. One of her sisters told me yesterday that she really never got the chance to grieve for her Mother. Please say a prayer for her. Today is the funeral and I fear that she will be ambushed by an onslaught of emotion.

It is good to spend time with family. You realize that many things that have shaped you into the person you are has come from interaction and possibly even shared blood with these people. Some things are unique to your family. Some of your family most likely is a little bit crazy. Some things they do are a tradition of the area in which you live. All of the quirks and craziness have a special place in your heart. While you may grow up and move away you don’t forget the love or the uniqueness that makes up “your family”.

You know this is also true of our church families.

Comments:
I work part-time as a funeral director and have noticed with very few exceptions, when a family gathers for the service, much of the talk is about how long it's been since they'd last seen each other. But my family is no better ... we generally have family reunions around a casket and a grave.
 
I am sorry for your loss. I will keep you in my prayers. God bless.
 
I'm sorry for her loss. I am glad you are getting some good time with your family.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?