Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Fat Tuesday

Well, I have never been to New Orleans during Mardi Gras, and I hate to admit it but I had no clue what it was all about until just a few years ago. The word carnival actually comes from the Latin carne vale meaning "farewell to the flesh." So today will be farewell to the things that I have decided to give up for Lent.

The sad truth is I have once again become hopelessly addicted to Diet Coke. When praying about what I needed to give up it was almost like a slap upside the head. I am also giving up all fast food so I had my final Chik fila chicken biscuit this morning.

This year I want to be truly attuned into entering the desert with Jesus. Temptation seems to come all the stronger when you are attempting to devote your life more fully. While I will not give up as much or as fully as Jesus did, I hope this time will help me grow closer to him and to learn more of his will for my life.

So for today I will be saying "farewell"......

Comments:
Chick-Fil-e chicken biscuit is a fast food? Say it ain't so!
 
I'm saying goodbye to alcohol.

I've never been to Mardi Gras either, but I think Fat Tuesday is a funny concept - indulge in all your vices for 1 last day!!! Well....OK!
 
Goodluck on the "giving up" of diet coke. I probably ought to join you in this!
 
I too have given up Dr. Pepper and all soft drinks. Forgoing the liquid sugar will probably be good for me anyway.

Shalom,
Bobby Valentine
 
i'm with bobby. i made it a couple of weeks and then fell off the wagon and just went with being able to drink sprite and 7up. i hope to make it this year!

pray for me, and i'll pray for you.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?