Friday, February 09, 2007

I was just thinking

Have you ever had someone tell you they were planning to do something for you, and then.......nothing?????

Which is worse the temporary thrill of anticipation that someone is planning something just for you followed by the disappointment of never seeing it, or never having the thrill or the expectation?

I realize as I type this that I have been the person who made the empty promise that I would do something that I never followed through on.... I think in my experience I would rather you say nothing at all than to have me anticipating something you never deliver.

Comments:
Yeah - I've had some family members promise to take me places as a child & then never did. I still remember the hurt & dissappointment. Better to not have then think you will get something & then don't.
 
Yep, I'll third the comment.....I'd rather not know than you never follow through.
 
I'm with you... don't tell me so I don't know what I'm missing. There's nothing worse than waiting for something that's never coming.
 
I've been guilty of this as a parent, but not intentionally. Something happens to make it impossible, or I re-think and realize it isn't practical or safe. The disappointment for the kids is hard to take (as is the guilt for me) so I have learned to keep my mouth shut until we are "shur nuff" on our way to "gettin' her done." But I'm sure I've been guilty of this in other areas as well.
Of course, we did decide not to take our children to Hawaii this year (we're not going either) and one reason was because our teenage son was absolutely miserable on our last family vacation and made us miserable too. So we just told him plain and simple "Blake last June you acted like you'd rather be in prison than with your family on a family vacation, so NO we are not taking another big one this year." (so there.)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?