Thursday, February 08, 2007

Summing Up

I like the way that the Bible every once in awhile will throw in a strategy that was seen in the Princess Bride….. When Inigo says
“Let me explain ---- No, there is too much. Let me sum up.”

The first three chapters of Deuteronomy are such a summation. But it is kind of sad. It is like Moses is a little melancholy as he tells the people where they have been, what God has done and where they are about to go. More than once he says that God was angry with him because of them….. And now they are going into the Promised Land…but he is not! It is tough when you work with a group, when you share blood sweat and tears but when it seems that the fruition of all the hard work is at hand…..you will not be enjoying the “promised land”. I feel for Moses. I know that his reward was something much better, but his heart and soul was invested in these people. It had to be hard to realize they would go on, they would have what was promised, but they would have it without him.

Comments:
Okay, so we go from cars and NASCAR to the Princess Bride. I like your style.

I understand what you're saying about Moses. Seems like he tried so hard and came so close. He must have been frustrated. I think of things like people who...

* Invest everything in a marrage only to loose it.
* Raise a child in the Lord only to see them choose a differnt path.
* Put everything in to a job only to be laid off.

Must have been beyond frustrating.
But I know that the promise land God provided for him and us in heaven was worth it.

Just a thought.

Oh and I love the quote from the movie: "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."
 
i'm glad that i am not the only one who loves 'the princess bride.' i have my daughter quoting the movie as it goes when we watch it.

my favorite line is, 'stop rhymning, i mean it!' then comes, 'anyone want a peanut?' CLASSIC!!

it sounds to me that moses could've been bummed, but he got to go home soon after he got his people to their destination. he got his reward.

have i mentioned lately how much i like reading this blog? well i do. thanks donna.
 
We so often quote the Princess Bride, but I hadn't ever linked it to the Bible...now I'll be looking.

Interesting thoughts on Moses. We are truly in seed planting mode--no guarantee of seeing the harvest.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?